Saturday, December 15, 2012

Final Blog Post - Reflection On My GAME Plan

The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) has National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T), and I chose two of them for my GAME plan.  To review, I chose:
1. a) promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness and
4. d) develop and model cultural understanding and global awareness by engaging with colleagues and students of other cultures using digital age communications and collaboration tools (International Society for Technology, 2008).

One of the goals in my GAME plan was to explore WebQuests with numerous computer-based tutorials.  Computer-based tutorials contain sound instructional design components (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009).  I explored various tutorials on WebQuests that pertained to what we were studying in my 2nd grade classroom.  From these WebQuests I found Virtual Field Trips.  These Virtual Field Trips could not have been any more perfect for the subjects we were studying.  This had a dramatic impact on my instructional practice.  From now on, before I begin a unit of study I will search through WebQuests for lesson plans, ideas, and Virtual Field Trips.  Making each lesson visual from the start engages my students, and helps them understand the concept of what we are studying. 

Another goal in my GAME plan was to learn more about computer mindtools, and how to use them to develop creative and critical thinking skills.  I learned more about concept maps, which my students can use to organize their knowledge, and arrange concepts spatially (Cennamo, et al., 2009).  Spiderscribe.net was the only interactive graphic organizer I had used up until exploring the options for my GAME plan.  I have discovered Inspiration, Kidspiration, and MindMap.  There are many software tools like these to help students visualize their thinking.  In the future I will be having my students use concept maps to organize their digital storytelling.  Creating a storyboard online enables my students to brainstorm what text, pictures, narration, music, or video they want to include and in what sequence.  Plus, once the digital storyboard is made, they can easily make changes to it.  

The last major goal I had in my GAME plan was to connect my students with other 2nd graders in another culture, using digital communication.  I joined www.epals.com, and am still trying to connect with another 2nd grade class in a different country.  There is a 2nd grade class in Spain, and the students speak Spanish and English.  I thought it was going to work, but the teacher is not responding to my emails.  I will not give up trying to find a classroom to connect with.  I have reached out to a former student's mom in New Zealand, to ask her teacher to join epals.  Perhaps that will work.  We would be connecting with a 3rd grade class, and that would be great.

How would I modify and use the GAME plan process for my students?  The basic structure can stay the same.  They would know what the lesson is about, understand the goals, be aware of the action plan (instructional activities), know how I am monitoring their progress, and the evaluation method I will be using for their final product.  My students are young and need structure, however, they can help in brainstorming the instructional activities that would be most beneficial to their learning styles.

I have learned many ways to integrate technology in the classroom, from this Masters class.  Digital storytelling will now become a regular part of my classroom.  I was never aware of how effectively this tool could be used to engage students, and take ownership of what they are learning.  It is a marvelous way for students to demonstrate their understanding of a specific topic, or convey a particular point of view.  Digital storytelling give students the chance to share stories using words, pictures, music, video, or scripted acting (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010a).  What I love most about digital storytelling is that it can be used across the curriculum.  My head is bursting with ideas of how to use it.  Before this school year ends, I would like each of my students to use it for a biography of choice, the scientific process of an experiment, an animal they would like to be, and restroom manners.

Integrating online collaboration or social networking is not easy at my school.  There are so many firewalls, that most of the time I am unable to get on most of these websites.  I did set up an account on Edmodo, which should have worked fine, but it did not.  I could only access what my students wrote from my computer at home.  I am on the tech committee this year, and will bring up this issue to see if there is something we can do.  There are some safe social networks that can be private to our classroom.

Problem-based learning enables students to learn content as they learn higher-order thinking skills (Laureate Education, Inc., 2010b).  However, there are many challenges associated with PBL.  It takes a great deal of planning, and time to implement these lessons.  Incorporating these lessons into my 2nd grade class are difficult, because of the many different levels of academic skills and behavioral issues.  It is possible to solve some of these problems with the use of technology.  Technology can make the planning, developing, and implementing of PBL activities possible.  Using Virtual Field Trips, and interactive graphic organizers with specific links to information can be productive to learning.  I think PBl is a valuable instructional approach, but certainly not an easy one to implement.  I may try to implement on more PBL lesson this year, and ask my students what local problem the see and are interested in researching. 

Reference List

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based  approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education standards for teachers (NET-T). Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/nets-t-standards.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010a). [Webcast]. Spotlight on technology: Digital storytelling, Part 1. Baltimore: Laureate Media.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010b). [Webcast]. Spotlight on technology: Problem based learning, Part 1. Baltimore: Laureate Media.












   


  

  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment